In 1873, the first county offices – including the courthouse – were located on the second floor of Spear’s Saloon, owned by Henry Spear. The building was located in downtown Ventura on the corner of Main and Palm Streets. A hallway and staircase conveniently connected the saloon and county offices, where Mr. Spear served his beer to supervisors, councilmen, judges, and jurors during their frequent breaks from the tiresome work of government.
The saloon won another place in Ventura’s history when, in 1874, it offered the first ice cream served in Ventura as a fundraiser for the Ventura Library Association.